Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Gravity of Time & Place

This is no ordinary tree. He lives on the President's Lawn, at the Georgia Institute of Technology, and he bears scars that reach back to... oh, well let's see... I think I saw one from the 50's, though I did not give the tree a thorough examination. I have done a little research, yet found nothing about this tree as it relates to Georgia Tech history and lore, but it appears that over the decades, students have carved in their initials, their major, and the year they "got out" into the tree. I guess you have to be pretty ballsy to sneak onto the President's Lawn to do such a thing, but since Tech's graduating seniors are both heavy on time (thanks to T-Week) and brains, I'm sure its not as elaborate a scheme as I imagine it to be.

I, however, did not have to scheme or use my brain to get onto the President's Lawn...merely well connected. I was invited. Ok, not that well connected. Will and I recently attended the Family Appreciation Day for his department on campus, and the function was held on the Lawn. And that's where and how I came across The Tree.

As an alumna -- and the wife of an alumnus/employee -- of the Institute I was just drawn to The Tree, and thought about how it must hold a special place in the hearts of those who left their marks upon it. At least 50 years worth of graduating classes are represented there, I'd think. And though I'm sure that, legally, defacing the Institute's property is a crime, seeing things like "MSH - ME - 76" made me incredibly proud to have spent five of the best years of my life on that campus and to hold a degree from one of the toughest colleges in the United States. Everyone who ever has graduated from college is proud of their accomplishment, but unless you went to Tech and Got Out, you have no idea just how proud a Tech graduate is to be a part of that elite group.

The timeliness of my discovery of The Tree could not have been more appropriate, either. And if certain things come to pass, I do believe I will have to re-visit that Tree, and give prayers of thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment