Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Well I Didn't See THAT Coming

I was at the barn last night, getting Alfie tacked up. One of the teen-aged girls walks up to the grooming stall where I was and pronounces to her young gelding "Why can't you be perfect like Alfie, huh?"

Seriously. She said it. My hand to God! I about fell over I was so shocked.

I looked at her and laughing said "Alfie, don't let your head get too big buddy. I think she's teasing." But this dear, sweet child insists she is not joking and proceeds to tell me how she's never seen Alfie act up, be naughty or do anything but stand quietly and perform his job obediently.

I look at my horse. And sure enough... he's standing there quietly, almost asleep. I lunge him in side reins and he's good as gold, stretching like a good boy. I ride him and he's listening to me, despite all the activity going on around him. When I finish my ride, I bring him into the barn and we are once again met by our new best friend, who professes again that she wishes her horse was more like Alfie.

My horse... who I see as quirky and difficult, with baggage enough for a barn full of horses. A horse who a mere year ago wouldn't cross-tie, and who two years before was fighting with veterinary staff at Auburn... while he was sedated. A horse who typically would spook at just about everything, including his own shadow, and couldn't stand still to save his life... he was described by someone who is not me as PERFECT?!?!

I don't know why I'm so surprised. Alfie is perfect, after all.



my darling, mud-covered pony

Dontcha think?

No comments:

Post a Comment